BÁNH CHƯNG is a traditional Vietnamese New Year cake with a square shape wrapped in “Dong” leaf. Bánh Chưng is made from sticky rice, mung bean, pork belly and steam in long hours.
To make Bánh Chưng, Vietnamese people traditionally prepare fresh Dong leaf, bamboo string to wrap. And for Bánh Chưng-square cake we use good sticky rice, mung bean and fresh pork belly with spices.
BÁNH CHƯNG recipe is easy with most of thing except wrapping the Dong leaf. So i will show you detail Bánh Chưng recipe to make Bánh Chưng easier
Bánh Chưng ingredient
- Sticky rice
- Pork belly
- Mung bean
- Sliced sharllot or onion
- String(4 string for 1 cake)
- salt, pepper, oil
- Dong leaf(4 leaves for 1 cake)
Prepare for making Bánh Chưng-Vietnamese square cake
- Sticky rice after clean with water, you dip in water with salt in about 3-5 hours
- Mung bean do the same as sticky rice
- Dong leaf you clean before wrapping
- Marrinate pork belly with sliced sharllot, salt, pepper and oil
- For wrapping Dong leaf you better watch the video to see how i wrap the leaf
After make Bánh Chưng-square cake you boil the cake in at least 6 hours.
But to keep Bánh Chưng stay good longer after cook, you better cook 24 hours. During the time boiling Bánh Chưng-square cake you need to keep fire regularly and always cover the cake. After boiling a few hours you can change the new water to help clean the cake.
Bánh Chưng recipe from Anh Cookery is traditional Vietnamese recipes making during Tết. So if you want to learn how to make Bánh Chưng-Square cake as a Vietnamese, this is for you.
To cook other authentic Vietnamese Food, you can see Anh’s Recipes or contact Anh via whatsapp